Thursday, September 5, 2013

"Red Buoy"


10x8" oil on canvas panel

Here's another quick oil sketch from my Maine photos. This is marker #2 just off Marshall Point. I took the photo for this while out on a puffin cruise. The amazing thing is we actually saw puffins! They were pretty far away but we did see quite a few. It was the "sunset cruise" so the light was beautiful. I must confess I wasn't that interested in the birds, they were sort of far away. I was more interested in taking pictures of buoys.

The Burlingame Paint Out is coming up at the end of the month so I tried to get out and paint on Tuesday. It was a lovely sunny morning but I was unable to find anything inspiring to paint. I looked around for two hours before giving up. I've learned that unless you find a composition you're excited about it's not worth setting up your easel. I'll give it another try next week.


1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Love this one. Reminds me of the red nun buoy in Frenchman's Bay.