Monday, August 3, 2015

"Boat on the Beach"

30x30" oil on canvas

I've been feeling the need to paint outside again. It's nice to get out of the studio into the open air once in a while. I know there are painters who feel that they do better work on location, but I'm not one of them. The longer I paint the more I realize the importance of a strong composition. When I paint outdoors I'm often in a rush to capture a scene before the light changes so I make quick decisions about design. I'm trying to get better about slowing down and thinking a painting through before picking up the brush. This paintng was done in the studio but I'll post some of my outdoor work soon.

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

strong, beautiful shapes and crisp color.
I like it.

Michael Chamberlain said...

Thanks Mary, glad you like it!