Saturday, March 30, 2013

"Fire Hydrant"


10x8" oil on canvas panel

This was done with one brush, a Utrecht #6 filbert of some sort.

I'll start by saying hydrants are difficult to draw. This is my second attempt, I couldn't live with the drawing on the first one. What's the point of painting a hydrant? Good question. I'm not sure. I will say that the hydrant, perhaps overlooked and unappreciated by all except dogs, would surely be seen as a thing of great beauty if one's house were on fire.

As a painter I think I was attracted to the pattern of light, the colors and the challenge of drawing an oddly shaped structure.

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I love everything about this, and why not hydrants? They have such great shapes and this is a beautiful study in abstract composition.