Tuesday, November 8, 2011

"Red Pickup at Dusk"


8x6" oil on hardboard

I've never owned a pickup truck. My brother had an old forrest green Toyota Hilux when we were in high school. He bought it for carrying around his dirt bike. The front seat had a huge hole in it so it was a true "bucket seat". He was about 6'4" at the time but he could barely see over the dashboard.

I remember sitting in that old truck one winter afternoon waiting for him to finish a race. I was about seventeen. Youth, boredom and the creative spirit inspired me to completely cover his interior with duct tape. It looked like a spaceship when I was done. I thought it was a great improvement and I was sure he'd love the new look.

He did not. 

I'm a year older than he is so there wasn't any ass whoopin' in case you thought that's where this was heading. 




4 comments:

Sheriart said...

This has great perspective and movement. Very nice

Page Pearson Railsback said...

Love meeting your blog site..love your style..clean, fresh, relaxing to the eye and FUN subjects

Roger Morris said...

I really like the way you simplify the scenes and let a few values, colors, and brushstrokes tell the tale. Plus, great story about the duct tape...

Nancy Standlee said...

Great storytelling..plus painting is not so bad either!